Apply now to be part of our Young Musician Showcase 2023!
Are you a musician aged 16-21 who lives or studies in Kirklees or Calderdale? &Piano wants to hear from you!
Since 2020 – at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic – &Piano launched its first annual Young Musician Showcase, which gave 10 talented performers from around our region the opportunity to perform to a live virtual audience on both Facebook and Youtube. The event was a great success, both technologically, and with viewers – having been viewed over 1000 times since.
Last year, we held our first live YMS as part of our 2022 Festival, and for our 2023 festival, we are looking to give 8-10 performers the opportunity to perform a short programme of music between 8-10 minutes in a live performance to be held on Sunday May 21st 2023 at The Civic, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield, and the opportunity to record one piece for a digital version of our Young Musician Showcase, to be shown on Facebook and Youtube at a later date.
Please consider applying if you are:
- between 16-21 years old.
- grade 7 or above standard on any instrument (including piano but excluding organ) or as a singer (classical & musical theatre)
- living or studying in Kirklees or Calderdale (or you have a non-term-time address in Kirklees or Calderdale – for example when not at university)
- You don’t need to be studying music as an academic subject at school/college/university.
You will need to be available for a 45 minute rehearsal with our accompanist on Saturday 13th May (at The Civic, Slaithwaite) where you will have the opportunity to have 30 minutes to rehearse your programme, after which we’ll record one piece.
To apply please send:
- Your name, locality (area you are from or where you study), your age, the instrument you play, and who you study with (your instrument teacher)
- The proposed pieces you would like to perform (totalling to around 8-10 minutes)
- A video (with or without accompaniment) of you performing a short piece (this can be a piece you would intend to perform, or a different piece) on your instrument.
Here are a few tips on making a good video:
- Make sure we can clearly see you and your instrument in the video
- The video or sound does not need to be professional or fancy. Filming on a smartphone or tablet is absolutely fine. You do not need to dress up/dress formal, but looking reasonably smart makes a good impression!
- Briefly introduce yourself and the piece you are going to play – the name and the composer
- Make sure it’s a piece that equally shows off your ability but that you are also comfortable playing.
The deadline for applications is at 6pm on March 6th. We will acknowledge receipt of every entry, and successful applications will be informed by email.
If you are under 18 you will need permission to apply from a parent or guardian.
When selecting our performers we’ll be considering ability as well as looking to create a balanced programme of different instruments, singers and repertoire – it won’t feature 10 of the same instrument!
There is no fee to apply, and if you are not successful this time, then you’ll be welcome to apply again to another potential YMS event providing you still fit all the criteria.
Send your video* and requested information, or any questions you might have to Jenny Pulleyn: email@example.com.
*You can send your video as a Google Drive link, an unlisted YouTube link, or as a file via www.wetransfer.com.
&Piano takes the safety and protection of participants very seriously. Please find our Safeguarding Policy here. Videos and personal data will all be deleted from our records after the event in line with GDPR regulations.